Monday, June 25, 2012

Let Me Come Home

(Love the song "Home" by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes)...

After a semester of teaching at the university in Jinju, a mid-semester week-long wander to Japan and several more weekends of Korea outdoor awesomeness, I've pounced on the opportunity to wander home for six weeks before returning for another semester in Korea. SIX WHOLE WEEKS! This was perhaps the most exciting thing in my life for the weeks leading up to this trip... You wouldn't believe how often my mind wandered to thoughts of cheese, micro-brews, my kitty Luna, family and friends, new babies, bike riding in the sunshine... Ahhhh. Home.

Being home as been a true joy. I feel so lucky to have this place and these people in my life, to feel so attached to home. How have I spent my first two weeks being back?

Making sure I'm home in time for dinner. Dad's cooking is still out of this world (and, there's always good beer and wine to be had).

Loving the people in my life. And what better way to start off my first week than by witnessing my brother propose to his girlfriend? I gained a new and amazing sister in a matter of days after my arrival. Mom and dad always make me happy and, as it's always been throughout my mid- to late-20s, I always enjoy our ever-evolving relationship. My two longest-standing friends have beautiful children (one of whom was just born two weeks before my arrival) and being with them is a beautiful thing and lights up my life. Next up: the out of town friends!

Being a gym rat at the local climbing gym. Okay, so I only go about twice a week, but still. It's a great way to kill a few hours mid-day and I've never had the chance to experiment with bouldering ceilings!

Enjoying the beautiful Willamette Valley summer weather (until three days ago). My first week and a half brought perfect weather--sunshine, blue skies and NO humidity (a rare treat in my life these days). Bike rides, runs (or, attempts at a run), driving with the windows down and the music up, reading on the back deck in the evenings as the sun sets... Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Picking berries from the yard! Neither Ohio nor Korea could offer this to me--that's 5.5 years out of the last 6.5 years I've been missing out! Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, oh my!

Talking with people from my second home in Korea. When you call a place home for 2.5 years, no matter how good it feels good to be back in your original home surrounded by all its beauty, you can't help but miss it. And, of course, the people. Thank goodness for facebook! :-P

Being inspired--and proud of my home. It's US Track and Field Olympic Trials time and Eugene is shining as the host city. Watching athletes in their finest moments and feeling the positive energy from those around me also witnessing such greatness is an amazing feeling (and makes me miss sport and competition immensely).

Enjoying the moment. Relishing place. Being present. Loving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment