Sunday, February 19, 2012

Travel vs. Vacation

My first month in India was spent traveling around to a new place every three to five days; now, on the contrary, I've split the last three weeks between only two places, Hampi and Kudle Beach in Gokarna. During that first month, I was primarily on my own, with only a few fleeting friendships here and there that lasted no more than three days, and more often than not only an afternoon or evening because the other person and I were never moving on in the same direction. So, most of the time I was a true solo traveler and often only one in a handful of foreigners surrounded by Indians. It was novel, exciting, stressful, frustrating and fascinating all at once. I was eating $1 meals, drinking $0.16 chais, snacking on $0.10 samosas, relying on myself for everything and simultaneously fighting and embracing the beautiful chaos that is India. Buuuuut, I find that oftentimes, one needs a vacation from their vacation.

So, the past three weeks have been just that. My first month was traveling the "real" India, and my last month has become indulging in a real "vacation." Hampi and Gokarna, though very much India, are places that are full of foreigners. They are completely different from Mysore or Munnar in that, despite all being tourist destinations, the former are comprised almost entirely of guest houses, shops and restaurants that cater to foreign visitors. Menus go from including only Indian fare to ALSO including Italian pizza and pasta, Israeli hummus and falafel and much more very non-Indian food. (And, admittedly, I have since allowed myself to indulge in the occasional falafel plate and veggie burger from time to time)

Real India or not, my 45 days in this country have offered me more than I could have asked for. Though, they leave me with only wanting more...

Eleven more days in India before flying back to Korea. Hopefully I'll get more pictures up and write more before that 11th day comes--there is so much that I HAVEN'T shared!! So, so much!

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment