Sunday, January 15, 2012

Kerala Photos

Fort Kochi

My first breakfast in India, idley (fermented rice cakes) and coconut chutney with peppercorns that were so prevalent in Keralan food:



The famous Chinese fishing nets of Fort Cochin:





Girls at one of the local Catholic schools:



One of the many historic Catholic churches in the area (in addition to several mosques and temples):



Chai, parotha and vegetable curry... Mmmm...



Break time at a food cart full of fried goodies (and not so good treats). I couldn't resist a sample of chai and three of the various snacks, some savory and some sweet. All you have to do is walk up, take whatever you want and enjoy it on one of the little plastic stools, gladly accept the man's offer for chai (why turn it down?!) and then pay a whole five rupees for each one. I even got a few to go, to continue my sampling, wrapped in newspaper (newspaper is India's "to-go" container).



And now, Alleppey...

On the walk to my home stay:





My room in the home stay:



The front yard and house in which I stayed:





Views from the ferry I took from Alleppey to Kottayam for a day trip:














I really wish I had taken some photos of the lovely meals my host-mother cooked while I stayed there... Mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment